Miniature Fashion Show

 I had this posted on Wyzant from several years ago, but they're shutting down their blog tool, so I'm reposting here. 


Miniature Fashion Show

Many online searches for lesson ideas and learning tools yield online activities, impossible to implement for in-home teaching. Nonetheless, I have found a few ideas. But some of the more fun ideas have been from innovation and adaptation of regular childhood games.
Since I know other tutors might find it difficult to find things, I thought I'd share a few of the more fun ideas I've had as I've worked with a couple of young sisters learning French.
One of the most recent fun activities was a fashion show. I had thought it would be a lot of fun if they could do a fashion show with their own clothes with themselves as models, but with only two girls, this would have taken a long time and therefore been less effective. Another thought I've toyed with has been using paper dolls since I loved them as a child, but they are not as easy to find these days. It also turned out to be good that I didn't because the 10-year-old groaned when I first started to explain the activity. "We're not using paper dolls are we?" No.
Another fun thing I did as a child was to cut out pictures from Sears, JC Penney's and other similar catalogs, to create cute families and homes for them. Well, I don't have too many huge catalogs lying around any more, but I do get mini catalogs in the mail and through my Avon sales job, so I cut out a handful (like 20ish) of full body models being sure to find a good variety of outfits, clothing items and colors.
Then I created a mini stage by using two pieces of tag board or poster board. One was the floor, and the other I cut to be an inverted U-shape for the models to walk under.
For the lesson, I let the girls choose a few models each to describe. They started with great ambition, but I think they ended up doing about five each, which was perfect for the time. I had worksheets for them to help them with the presentations, but some students could probably write their own sentences without a guide--depends on their level and their age. On the worksheet, they described two or three things the models were wearing, utilizing their knowledge of both clothing items and colors. Additionally, I had them write one word to describe the models, such as “pretty” or “cool” or “sassy” (en francais, bien sur).
After they had five models' descriptions ready, one sister walked the models along the homemade catwalk while the other read her sentences. They really loved the activity and wanted to keep the models to keep playing in English after I left. And I think it built their confidence in pronunciation and familiarization with clothing words and adjectives describing personalities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflective Blogs for Multiliteracies Class, May 3 2021

Music and Online Teaching Tools